Home » , , » Ethnomusicology

Ethnomusicology

When I finish reviewing Orchestra Instruments with 5th graders - and before I begin the Invented Instruments unit, I teach a lesson plan about Ethnomusicology. I begin by showing the first slide of the following slideshow.





I explain that we have just finished reviewing 4 families of the orchestra, and there are 4 families of instruments of the whole world. I want them to help figure out what they are.


I put the following cards on the board (with magnets on the back). I tell them to help figure out what the categories are by thinking of what vibrates. I end up putting something like this on the board:



Then, I ask the students to help me to place the cards in the right categories.


 








Then I show the students the rest of the slides with the 4 categories. I tell the students when they build their own instruments they have to tell me which category (or categories) their instrument fits into. (The students are allowed to look at a sheet as they decide.)





I use the following worksheet when some of the students have worked ahead of the others in their Invented Instrument unit - and they need something to do. Or, it could be used with a sub.




Share this article :
 
Copyright © 2013. Exclusive Music - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger