Home » , , » Engine Engine Number Nine

Engine Engine Number Nine

In 1st grade, we learn the difference between beat and rhythm. I make big cards with these words on them, laminate them and put magnets on the back. I explain that beat is "boring," always the same and steady. Rhythm is putting the words of the song in your hands (clapping).





I give the students a sheet of paper with 16 tracks.




I also give each student (or pair of students) an envelope with enough little train engines to fill the page with the correct rhythms. 





I explain that the tracks represent the "beat:" all the same. We go through the rhythm of the chant while clapping. I ask the students to tell me how many sounds are in each word. Then they put the correct number of engines down on the tracks. I demonstrate on the slides. At the end, I show them how the 2 engines per beat equal "ti-ti" and the one engine per beat equal "ta."

On another day, we say the chant (Section A), then perform a Section B with the 4 different rhythms (see below) on drums. 










Share this article :
 
Copyright © 2013. Exclusive Music - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger