Home » , , , , , , » A Tisket A Tasket & Jazz

A Tisket A Tasket & Jazz

Fun song - can be done as a circle game with younger students, and it's always a great song to demonstrate syncopation and jazz.



It's like "Duck Duck Goose." A student has the basket and walks around behind the other students as everyone sings the song. At the end of the song, the child puts the basket behind a student, then runs around the circle while the other student picks up the basket and chases the first person around the circle and tries to tag the student. The chasing stops when the student who was "it" reaches the hole the 2nd student was just occupying.

**Important: whenever I do a circle game in my classroom, students do not run. I have had students walk fast when they play these games. That's all I don't need is a student getting hurt! And, for legal reasons, we should never create a situation in which a student is likely to get hurt. If we play the game outside on the grass, then by all means, have them run. I also lessen the importance of "who wins" by not making a big deal if the person gets tagged before sitting back down. Whether the "chaser" catches the person or not, the "chaser" becomes the new "it" and the game starts over.

In a different way, I use it with 4th graders. We sing the song "straight." Then we listen to Ella Fitzgerald's version. I have it on a CD, but here's a youtube version.

I have the students compare and contrast the 2 versions - you could even make a Venn diagram. Definitely make sure to point out how much fun the jazz version is!


My favorite version is from this CD: 
I love this version of the song - because it's faster and much more fun. I also like playing the CD version before (or instead of) the youtube video - because then the students are forced to really listen (something hard for them to do). They might need to listen more than once. I think it's a really good example of how the elements of syncopation, instrumentation and improvisation can change the sound and feel of a song.

This book is delightful! I love the illustrations! It somewhat matches the Ella Fitzgerald version of the song - so it's another way the kids can listen, this time with something to look at while they listen. I would bring back the song a different day and play it again while turning the pages.



Share this article :
 
Copyright © 2013. Exclusive Music - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger