Home » » State Songs Review

State Songs Review

Wow, what a crazy excursion: researching the state songs  around the US! Here are some things I learned - and some of my faves.

Interesting Facts:
  • Some state songs grew up organically by the state choosing what was already popular at the time. Other states held contests. 
  • Some composers kept their copyrights, which limits the use of songs being sung in public (except in schools or churches), due to the royalties that must be paid. Other composers waived their copyrights. Many of the states adopted state songs only in the last few decades.
  • I found it interesting how many state songs were difficult to find online. In many cases, the sheet music on my blog is the only free example available online. (And I sure hope I didn't break any copyright laws!)

State(s) with:


My own opinions:

I found I prefer state songs that are easy to sing a cappella. I like the songs that are like anthems, or hymn-like. To me, they sound more "stately," such as:
Songs that need to have an accompaniment to make them sound complete:
Catchy "sticky" tunes

Share this article :
 
Copyright © 2013. Exclusive Music - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger