Home » » Songs from the Southwestern States (US)

Songs from the Southwestern States (US)


Next on my state song expedition is the region of the Southwestern states. I want you to know that I have absolutely fallen in love with New Mexico and now want to move there because of the AWESOME state song! You must listen to the tango accompaniment on the youtube link I provided! (And for the record, that one took me awhile to notate!) :-)

A couple of notes:
  • I got the most of the songs from internet research, and we all know how reliable that can be (not!). So, if you find anything that's incorrect, let me know.
  • Some songs were easy to find. Some were not. Some I had to notate myself after listening to an old recording. 
  • Some states have more than one state song, and since they weren't folk songs, I had to pay attention to copyright dates. (According to United States copyright law, the only copyrighted songs that are now "public domain" are those published before 1923.) However, even that wasn't easy to figure out. I couldn't find a copyright on some songs - and I found out that some songs' composers waived the copyright (otherwise, every time someone sings the state song in a non-school or non-church setting, they must pay a royalty!).
  • Most of the songs had tons of verses, so I just chose a couple in each case. If you need more verses, they are all findable on the internet.
  • Check out my other post in this series:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARIZONA

The Arizona March Song (state song)



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW MEXICO

O Fair New Mexico - you have to hear how awesome this song is!



A la puerta del cielo



Juan Pirulero




---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OKLAHOMA

Oklahoma - from the musical by Rodgers & Hammerstein - copyrighted - sheet music

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TEXAS

Texas, Our Texas (state song) - copyrighted - sheet music here

Boll Weevil



Deep in the Heart of Texas



I'd Like to Be in Texas When They Roundup in the Spring



Leavin' Old Texas

Lone Star Trail



The Texas Cowboy




Yellow Rose of Texas



Texas Rangers (version 1)



Texas Rangers (version 2)




Other Cowboy Songs


Share this article :
 
Copyright © 2013. Exclusive Music - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger