Home » » Save your voice!

Save your voice!

I have heard it said that the three types of teachers who most often have vocal issues are PE teachers, foreign language teachers and music teachers. Many of you know how it feels when you start back to school and you experience vocal fatigue. You will very likely continue to do damage to your voice over the years of your teaching if you're not careful.





DO's and DON'T's - from Univ. of Pittsburgh Voice Center web page

Do:
   o   speak at your own pitch
   o   support speaking voice
   o   avoid dairy products prior to performance
   o   humidify bedroom during winter months
   o   avoid places with bad air
   o   drink lots of water “Pee Pale, Sing Clear” - yellow means dehydrated
   o   rest, no stress, be happy, laugh a lot
   o   20-minute vocal rest periodically

Don’t:
   o   smoke at all or drink coffee or alcohol before a performance
   o   drink many caffeinated drinks
   o   scream at sporting events or talk at noisy places
   o   phonate a sneeze or yawn
   o   cough or clear your throat repeatedly
   o   whisper loudly or for a long time
   o   try to talk over a cold or laryngitis
   o   sing outside, or if it hurts to swallow, or “over sing”

Other things I have done to help me: 
  - Vocal rest during my lunch hour. Even 20 minutes of no speaking can go a long way. 
  - Support my breath not only when I sing, but also when you talk. Even a quick vocal warm-up on the drive to school can help.
  - Not over-speaking while teaching. During a time in my life when my voice always seemed strained, I invested in a Chattervox. (http://www.chattervox.com/) I used it for about 3-4 years until I got so used to talking at a normal volume that when I stopped using it, I was better at not over-speaking while teaching. I am absolutely convinced that had I not started using my Chattervox, I would have suffered from nodules.




That brings me to "Vocal Fold Nodules": one of my favorite subjects! You know, it's not talked about very much. But, it's very very real. I even tell my chorus students to be careful when singing and yelling (i.e. cheerleading) not to over-sing in a pop voice for long periods of time.

Famous people with nodules:
Julie Andrews, Kenny Rogers, Rachael Ray, Miley Cyrus, Luciano Pavarotti, Whitney Houston, singer/songwriter Matthew West, American Idol contestant Paul McDonald, John Mayer, comedian Margaret Cho, Justin Timberlake, Mariah Carey, Annie Lennox, Rod Stewart, Joni Mitchell, Madonna, Bette Midler, Sarah Brightman, Robert Plant, Freddy Mercury, Broadway star of "Wicked", Idina Menzel, Amy Grant, Linda Rondstadt, Patty Loveless, LeeAnn Rimes, Kelly Clarkson, Joss Stone, Leeann Rimes, Charlotte Church, Steven Tyler (hemorrhage on his vocal cord), Stevie Nicks, Bonnie Tyler, Jordin Sparks, Cyndi Lauper, Celine Dion (vocal damage caught early, which she now avoids with prolonged periods of no speaking or singing).

http://topicsinspeechandlanguage.blogspot.com/2010/01/vocal-abuse-in-children.html
http://www.michiganvoiceovertalent.com/vocalcare.html
http://www.singeruniverse.com/grant-williamsavoiddamage.htm
Share this article :
 
Copyright © 2013. Exclusive Music - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger