Home » , , » In and Out

In and Out

Chant I use with 1st graders:

In and out (rest)
Round-about (rest)
O-U-T and
That spells out! (rest)

(1) I practice "ta" and "rest" with the students.
(2) I show these drums - and the students say the rhythms.
(3) I teach them the chant (above).
(4) Students say chant and imitate a floor drum (alternating palms down) in the air on the "ta's" - on the rests, students put hands out in the air (as if shrugging) and whisper "rest."
(5) When students can demonstrate they can say and pat the air, I put them on the floor in a circle.
(6) I point to each student's head on the beats as we say the chant. The three students I point to on the "rests," get to play floor drums (only on the "ta's," not the "rests!") the next time we chant.
(7) Continue until all students have had a turn.
Share this article :
 
Copyright © 2013. Exclusive Music - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger